Rooted to Rise
I strongly believe that whoever first brought the ackee tree from West Africa to Jamaica must have known I would come along one day. I absolutely love ackee and saltfish. In fact, I love it so much that I desired to have a morning wedding simply so I could eat ackee and saltfish with fried dumplings at the reception. I didn’t have a morning wedding, but I did eat ackee and saltfish that morning for breakfast. On birthdays, Christmas mornings, and just about every special occasion, breakfast is not complete without it. Even if I am overseas, I somehow find a way to have ackee and saltfish if the occasion is important enough.
For
years, my students knew about my love affair with ackee. I would often ask if
they had ackee trees at home and, if they did, whether they could bring me some.
Eventually, one student decided to solve my problem once and for all by giving
me an ackee seedling. I was elated but truth is I felt a little embarrassed
because I thought that it must be because I beg ackee so much.
That
was in 2013.
I
planted it with great excitement and confidently told a friend that one day I
would put a swing in its branches. She laughed and reminded me that ackee trees
take years to mature. "Maybe your grandchildren will enjoy that
swing," she teased. My grandchildren did not get to eat it's fruits, but I certainly did for a few years. Unfortunately, neither I nor my future
grandchildren will ever get that swing because sometime after the COVID-19 pandemic, I reluctantly
had to cut down the tree. Not only did I cut it down, I burned the roots and
paved over the area with concrete.
Fast
forward to 2026.
Inspired
by the success of my then ackee tree, I decided to try my hand at backyard
farming. Well... "backyard" might be a stretch because my backyard isn’t
exactly backyard-ing, so I created a little side-yard garden instead. Between
January and March, I built raised beds and planted cabbage, sweet peppers, scotch bonnet peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, onions and pak choi. In the pockets
of the concrete blocks surrounding the beds, I planted carrots and beetroot. In
the actual backyard, I had only the concrete blocks. In those pockets, I
planted escallion, string beans, onions and more lettuce.
The
cabbage grew.
Mi glad bag buss.
“I
am officially a farmer."
Then
the pak choi appeared.
Definitely
a farmer.
The
beetroot sprouted.
Professional
farmer.
Every
tiny green shoot convinced me that I had uncovered the hidden farmer and green thumb within me. Every day I watered my plants faithfully, admired
them proudly and envisioned fresh vegetables that I could give away.
Then
reality arrived.
Tiny
holes began appearing in my cabbage leaves.
Pests.
I
found a small caterpillar hiding beneath one leaf one day and I un-alived it. I bought pesticide at the farm store and confidently declared
victory. Or so I thought. Soon I saw evidence of more caterpillars. They had even turned on my beetroot leaves. When harvest time came, I did reap cabbage. But it
felt like a victory with an asterisk. I couldn't help feeling that I had
somehow failed my crops.
The
tomatoes and peppers gave me renewed hope. One sweet pepper plant even produced
a single pepper. The tomato plants blossomed beautifully
I
celebrated.
Then
the tomato leaves began looking dry despite regular watering. White spots
appeared on the pepper leaves. Fungus. Again, disappointment. To make matters
worse, my "block garden" stubbornly refused to produce anything. No onions. No
lettuce. No seedlings. Not even one hopeful little sprout. Nothing.
By
July, I accepted that farming simply wasn't for me. I decided to abandon food
crops and focus instead on ornamental plants. While digging a hole for one of
the ornamentals, something unexpected happened. As soon as I inserted my garden
knife, the soil inside the concrete block pocket disappeared. Literally
disappeared. The tightly packed soil that I thought was filling the block
pocket simply collapsed into the hollow space below.
I
stood there with my jaw on the ground. For six months I had faithfully watered
seeds that had almost no soil in which to grow. The problem wasn't my lack of a
green thumb. The seeds never really had a foundation. The soil had been quietly
disappearing beneath them all along. I had been planting and replanting into
ground that was being undermined from underneath.
Now,
back to my ackee tree.
About
six weeks ago, I saw that an ackee seedling had pushed its way through the
concrete. I stopped dead in my tracks. The seedling had come up through the
concrete. The very spot where I had cut down the tree. The very spot where I
had burned the roots. The very spot I had covered with concrete over five years
ago. I stood there staring in amazement. How? My daughter uprooted it because,
in her words, "We don't have the space for an ackee tree." …..Fair
enough.
But
then, just last week, another seedling appeared. We haven't had rain in
forever. The country is literally experiencing a drought. That area receives pretty
much no water. Yet somehow, life found a way.
While
I had spent months struggling to grow vegetables in carefully prepared garden
beds, this forgotten ackee tree that was burned, buried beneath concrete and
left without care had quietly decided it wanted to continue growing. And that
made me wonder...
What
if I was as resilient as that ackee tree?
What
if my dreams refused to die simply because circumstances became difficult?
What
if rejection wasn't the end?
What
if disappointment wasn't permanent?
What
if being buried wasn't the same as being defeated?
The
resilient ackee tree 'spoke' to me in tree language that when roots run deep,
concrete is only an obstacle not a conclusion.
My
failed vegetable garden taught me another lesson, not every failure is because
you lack ability. Sometimes the foundation is the problem.
My
seeds weren't failing because I didn't have a green thumb. They were failing because
there wasn't enough soil to sustain them.
Likewise,
some of us pour years of energy into businesses, relationships, jobs,
investments or dreams that never had a solid foundation to begin with. We keep
watering. We keep working. We keep hoping. All the while, the ground beneath us was quietly giving way. And even if the foundation is solid, there are other
things that require attention. The healthiest-looking crop can be destroyed by
pests left unchecked. A hidden fungus can slowly weaken a thriving plant. Small
problems ignored eventually become big problems.
The
same is true in our lives. Sometimes the pests are negative influences. Sometimes
they are bad habits. Sometimes they are fear, bitterness, pride or
procrastination. If we don't deal with them early, they quietly consume what
we've worked so hard to build. Healthy growth requires both a strong foundation
and constant care.
As
Jamaica celebrates another year of Independence, perhaps this is a good time
for all of us to take inventory. Examine the foundation before you plant. Whether
you're starting a business, pursuing another qualification or new venture, entering a
relationship, accepting a new job or making an investment, ask the difficult
questions.
Is
this built on solid ground?
Have
I done my research?
Is
there enough support for this to take root?
Am I rooted in Christ?
And
once you've planted, keep watch. Remove the pests. Treat the fungus. Protect
what you're building before small problems become large ones.
Finally,
remember the lesson of the ackee tree. If your roots are anchored in the right
place, don't let difficult seasons convince you that your growth is over. You
may be cut down. You may be overlooked. You may even feel buried beneath the
weight of disappointment. But deep roots have a remarkable way of finding life
again. Sometimes, they even break through concrete.
Happy Independence, Jamaica. 64 years.
eS




Beautiful post. ππΎ
ReplyDeleteWow Sherine, this is just beautiful with real nuggets that I will use to build resilience.
ReplyDeleteLove this one. I want to be resilient just like the ackee tree.
ReplyDeleteWow! Just the motivation that I needed
ReplyDeleteWow! Pouring energy and effort into things that simply don’t have the foundation to flourish really resonated with me. I’m inspired by the resilience of your ackee tree, what is meant to grow will grow despite its circumstances All in all, there are so many beautiful lessons to be learnt from your farming journey.
ReplyDeleteThis definitely resonates, sometimes we try so hard to accomplish things but then we discover external factors that inhibits growth (hinderances and blockages). The dirt falling from the bottom of the container was a really good analogy and should help remind us to check our foundation more often to ensure it is ready to support whatever we are building.
ReplyDeleteWow…..Sher….this is simply beautiful… I want to be as resilient as this ackee tree….beautiful πππ
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteFinally, remember the lesson of the ackee tree. If your roots are anchored in the right place, don't let difficult seasons convince you that your growth is over. You may be cut down. You may be overlooked. You may even feel buried beneath the weight of disappointment. But deep roots have a remarkable way of finding life again. Sometimes, they even break through concrete!
MY INSPIRATION!!! You made my night Sher. Love it!
Remarkable use of several functions of the English language. Personification was the mainstay with simple vocabulary. I just couldn't stop reading. Love it babes. I really do.
ReplyDeleteThe perfect literal diet for the season. A great showing of the resilience that underlines our successes while also exposing the basis of our limitations and failures. The true love for the national dish was manipulated nicely.
ReplyDeleteGreat stuffπ
Such an insightful and inspirational perspective! Thanks for penning this.
ReplyDelete